- Zakarpattia is one of the richest regions of Ukraine in terms of water resources. The Carpathian springs feed the most important water arteries of Europe, such as: the Vistula, the Danube, the Tisza, the Dniester and their numerous large and small tributaries. The Carpathians are the source of 80% of Romania's water resources and 40% of Ukraine's water reserves are also from the Carpathians. But it is disturbing to note that the Carpathians may lose their importance for Europe as a source of fresh water. Mountainous regions are most vulnerable to the "garbage problem". Garbage-removal trucks, which usually run through lowland villages without any problems, do not go to the mountains, where the roads are often absent at all, and if there are, the cost of garbage removal from there hits record heights. Because of this, the Chairmen of mountain communities often close their eyes to the illegal dumping, burning garbage by locals and throwing it into the river. It sounds disappointing but the rivers are the main waste transporter of the Ukrainian Carpathians.
The Tisza River is the largest tributary of the Danube River in terms of area and length and the second largest in terms of flow after the Sava. The area of the basin is 157,186 km2. The length of the Tisza River is 966 km. The main part of the Tisza River runoff is formed on the territory of four countries: Romania - 51%, Ukraine - 25.6%, Hungary - 10% and Slovakia - 13.4%. On the territory of Ukraine, the basin of the Tisza River is completely located within one region - Transcarpathian. All rivers in Transcarpathia either flow directly into the Tisza River or its tributaries. The area of the Transcarpathia region and, accordingly, the area of the Tisza sub-basin within Ukraine is about 12.8 thousand km2. The source of the Tisza River is considered to be the source of its longest tributary - the Black Tisza River. The Tisza River originates in the south-eastern part of the Carpathians, formed by the confluence of two rivers Black and White Tisza, the source of the Tisza is the source of the Black Tisza, which has a larger catchment area and length to the confluence with the White Tisza. After the confluence of these rivers near the city of Rakhiv, the Tisza River flows in a narrow mountain valley in the southern direction. Near the village Dilove close to the border with Romania, after flowing from the left bank of the Viseu River, the river flows in a narrow gorge in a northwesterly direction to the village Velykyi Bychkiv. Due to the fact that on the territory of Velykobychkivsk UTC the river Tisza flows in each of 7 settlements: the river Apshitsa - the right tributary of the river Tisza 39 km long and 226 km2, the river Shopurka - the right tributary of the Tisza 41 km long and the basin area 283 km2. .Kisva- right tributary of the Tisza 41km length and area of the basin 157 km2, the project is the most relevant.
The project "Clean Tisza – is the key to the happy future" ( Project) consists in to clear banks of the river Tisza on the territory of the Velykobychkiv UTC, Rakhiv district, Transcarpathian region by introducing a modern method and technologies for the collection and processing of solid waste that are formed on the territory of Velykobychkiv UTC. Namely: the method of separate collection of solid waste with the use of modern equipment for processing of solid domestic waste (hereinafter - SDW) for their further transportation and recycling. The project plans separate collection of plastic, paper, glass and mixed solid waste. A separate garbage with the corresponding color will be installed for each type of solid waste at the container sites. For plastic - yellow, for paper - blue, for glass - green, for organic - black. Now the solid domestic waste generated on the territory is stored in the landfill, which is already overcrowded and in this area was named "Garbage Goverla" over 8 m. heights, 300m. length about 600m. width (news link). The consequences of the pollution of the Tisza River are obvious - it is the accumulation of organic matter and rot - water pollution and the death of fish and animals. The consequences of water pollution can be called dangerous and comprehensive. The list of diseases that can occur due to the use of law-quality water is huge. It is said that 80% of sores person "drinks" with water. Plastic bottle, if not disposed of, can take hundreds or even thousands of years to breakdown. It releases toxins that poison the environment. And yet, because of our irresponsibility, at least 10 generations will enjoy a huge plastic legacy.
Experts estimate that Ukraine has transferred and continues to transfer up to 100 plastic bottles per minute to Hungary. According to the President of Hungary, only since middle-June, Hungarians have received 938 cubic meters of garbage from the Tisza and 846 cubic meters of garbage from the river Somesh. The Tisza, one of the main rivers of Eastern Europe, originates in Ukraine and flows through all of Hungary, then empties into the Danube in Serbia. The river Somesh flows from Romania to Hungary and flows there into the Tisza (news link) Certain waste export to the European Union. After the rains the stream from the mountainous regions of Transcarpathia to the territory of Slovakia carries cubic meters of plastic waste - the border can cross up to 400 bottles per minute (news link). After all, if garbage is not taken out of the village, it is easiest to throw it into the river. It quickly takes away everything you no longer need…
This project will benefit 100% of the population of Velykobychkivsk united territorial community (UTC) consisting of 7 villages, namely: Velykyi Bychkiv (9,423 inhabitants), Kobyletska Polyana (3,490 inhabitants), Verkhne Vodiane (5,272 inhabitants), Vodytsa (1 882 inhabitants), Kosivska Polyana (4,222 inhabitants), Luh (1,985 inhabitants) and Rosishka (1,240 inhabitants), and in total it is 29,689 thousand of its inhabitants living on the territory of 574.2 square km. (news link)
2. Define the purpose and objectives of the project.
The main goal of the project is to protect the environment in the Danube region, preserve the unique beauty of the picturesque Carpathians, and clean the Tisza River on the territory of Velykobychkivsk UTC, to involve the local population in waste sorting by reducing the disposal of solid waste, which has a detrimental effect of the introduction of separate collection of solid waste and the introduction of processing and sorting of solid waste generated on the territory of Velykobychkivsk UTC, involve the local population in waste sorting and introduction of processing and sorting of solid waste generated on the territory of Velykobychkivsk UTC, Zakarpattia region, information campaign combining the efforts of Rotarians, local businesses, government and public sector for 36 months and overcome the so-called "garbage exports to the EU". Such a project has not been taken on the territory of Velykobychkivsk UTC. The innovative approach proposed to solve the problem is that there are almost no similar waste processing plants in the region. Ukraine, one of the European countries for which the problem of ecosystem pollution is extremely acute Today, systemic waste collection covers only part of Transcarpathia. In Uzhgorod and Mukachevo, the second largest city in the region, there are specialized companies, in other regions in general they risk drowning in their own waste. Socio-economic orientation of the project will improve the living conditions of the population, because the "health" of the river directly affects the state of the entire ecosystem of the region and the health of residents living in the area, will reduce the negative impact of solid waste on human health, overuse of natural resources, new opportunities for the realization of social, economic and intellectual potential of the community. An enterprise with permanent employment will be created. Guided by the current Order of the Cabinet of Ministers, of November 8, 2017. №820-r "On approval of the National Waste Management Strategy in Ukraine until 2030" (link for law) The situation with the formation, accumulation, storage, processing, utilization and disposal of waste and is characterized by the further development of environmental threats. Determines the creation and maintenance of the proper functioning of the national system for waste prevention, collection, recycling and disposal, disposal and environmentally friendly disposal. This should be an urgent task even in conditions of relatively limited economic opportunities of both the state and the main waste generators.
- increase the collection, procurement, processing and disposal of waste as secondary; raw materials, by setting up a garbage collection system;
- ensure the optimal combination of forest plantations and meadows around water bodies;
- creation of a system of information support in the field of waste management;
- improving the procedure for keeping state records of waste, informing about the location of places or facilities for waste management, their impact on the environment and human health;
- The situation with the formation, accumulation, storage, processing, utilization and disposal of waste and is characterized by the further development of environmental threats. Necessitates the creation and maintenance of the proper functioning of the national system for waste prevention, collection, recycling and disposal, disposal and environmentally friendly disposal. This should be an urgent task even in conditions of relatively limited economic opportunities of both the state and the main waste generators.
3. Project activity:
І. Stage (initial 0-8 month)
- Sharing of experience with factories where the solid waste processing is already successfully applied; (6 people for 10 days in the countries where the river Tisza flows (Hungary, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Vinnytsia UTC, Ukraine. The trip includes round trips, medical insurance, food, accommodation and other expenses, which amounts to $ 1,500 / person, 10 days * 6 people. = $ 90,000
- Awareness training for the project implementation, during which an explanatory campaign will be conducted among the population of territorial communities on the removal and feasibility of separate collection of solid waste. Posting information on information stands. To enlist the aid of influence makers. Information through the media and social networks. Creation and dissemination of newsletters; ( $ 22 000)
- Determine the location for placement of sites and containers for separate collection of solid waste, and a site for receiving secondary raw materials, Elaboration of design and budget documentation; ( $ 10 000)
- Social and ecological actions in order to improve the ecological situation and restoration the natural fund of the Ukrainian Carpathians.
ІІ. Stage (main 8-month)
- The tendering on purchase of a garbage truck,( ($90 000),
- Equipment for processing (SDW) ($ 2 000).
- Purchase of containers, equipment for solid waste processing. Arrangement of sites with containers for separate collection and reception of secondary raw materials and actually recycling. In each of the 7 villages it is planned to have three sites where 4 garbage containers will be installed, in total it is 84 containers (3 sites / village * 12 containers / village * 7 villages = 84 pieces)/The cost of one container is UAH 5,600 (link for site) ($ 210 * at the rate of the NBU), 84 pcs. container * $ 210 = $ 17,640
- Arrangement locations for containers for garbage (21 sites) $ 1,800./(one) = $ 37,800
- Arrangement of a locations, warehouse like hangar multifunctional awning like "FastStore" where will be installed waste-collection centres (20m * 49m) with all permits ($ 74,000)
ІІ. Stage ( final )
- Installation of equipment for processing (recycling) of solid waste collected by a separate method;
- Commissioning of purchased machinery and equipment;
- Report the successful implementation of the project.
4. Information component.
Informing the project is planned by posting on the social network, where will coverage the name of the project, purpose and indicators in the form of an information campaign based on the problem of solid waste and ways to solve it, organization of sorting, removal, partial processing and sale of secondary raw materials in communities, entities, institutions and participants in general, conducting competitions with thematic gifts and coverage of the photo report of the participants in the form of a flash mob in order to regain a sense of unity the common cause.
- Expected results.
Far-field impacts of project:
- The project will have an impact on the territory of the Transcarpathian region, as well as on the neighboring countries that are members of the EU that suffer from the garbage bringing by the Tisza River, namely Hungary, Romania, Slovakia and Serbia. Especially Hungary, which each time suffers in tons of plastic and suffers huge losses from the environment and the economy.
- The ecological condition of the environment and living conditions of Transcarpathian residents will improve. Transcarpathia will be able to restore its natural potential as the most picturesque part of Ukraine
- An effective modern model of solid waste management will be developed, which will be an example for other organizations in the future.
- The Utilities Company will be established, which will provide services to the population on a permanent basis for the collection and removal of solid waste, recyclables, assist in the processing of organic waste on the ground, provide other necessary services to people, conduct information and educational campaigns.
- A utility company will be established, which will provide services to the population on a permanent basis for the collection and removal of solid waste, recyclables, assist in the processing of organic waste on the ground, provide other necessary services to people, conduct information and educational campaigns.
- The ecological culture of the population will increase, the community will become aware of the role of its behavior in improving and maintaining the good quality of the environment, will unite by joint overcoming of problems, the relations between the government and the community will be harmonized.
- Schoolchildren will receive the necessary knowledge of ecology, basic knowledge of waste management skills of environmental advocacy
- increase moral responsibility for dishonest treatment of nature
- reduce the risk of disease in the region
- jobs creation
- will create a new type of business activity and, as a result, will allow to earn on solid waste utilization and will lay the foundation for creating an efficient, effective and environmentally friendly waste management system, which will minimize the harmful impact on the environment from solid waste in the Carpathian region.
- Successful implementation of the project will open the way to the implementation of other projects aimed at community development.
- Target groups of the project:
- residents of Ukraine and the states with which it borders;
- Residents of Zakarpattia region, in particular residents of the high mountainous Rakhiv district, Velykobychkivsk UTC, suburban villages involved in the project.
- Local governments.
- Private entrepreneurs of villages, employees of enterprises of trade networks, collectives of social institutions, public activists.
- School youth of the community of other village councils.